Clocks

cuckoo Clock
Ever since I was a little girl and saw my first cuckoo I have been fascinated by clocks. Of course, when people find out you like something, that's what you begin to get as gifts. Needless to say I have a lot of clocks. I usually enjoy them except on daylight savings days. I have just finished changing all my clocks, except the one that I need a ladder and pliers to change. Maybe I will let it wait until the time changes again, then it will be correct half the year.

It makes me wonder...do I really need all these clocks. I enjoy them the rest of the year. I need them in every room, since I can go to another room and forget the time I just looked at. I rarely leave my apartment so I try to keep track of the days and time or my mind might really disappear. I have been thinking about adding a clock with the date and day of the week. I try to keep track on the calendar.

Living with chronic pain and being homebound has many challenges. Even if you don't have a brain injury it can affect your mind. That's why I think it is so important to keep track of time. It not only makes you remember, but keeps the days from blurring into oblivion. I find it is important to sleep on time. I know it is difficult when you are in pain, but I have found if you force yourself to go to bed at the same time and get out of bed 8 hours later you feel much better.

I take Neurontin at bed time. It not only helps me sleep; but takes care of the hot flashes, for those women of a certain age, that can wake you up. I also take Vistaril, which helps with my bladder so I don't wake up to go to the toilet. The most important thing I can stress, if you have sleep problems, is don't have any caffeine after 3pm. That includes coffee, tea, chocolate, energy drinks, mountain dew...read the labels.

Many of the people I know on disability have very erratic sleeping habits and then wonder why they feel so "bad." There is a different between the pain of your condition and the "bad" of "bad" habits. They eat poorly, stay up late, sleep in, and nap through the day...whew...I wouldn't be able to get out of bed if I did all of that. If anyone dare make suggestions they usually get their head chopped off, since most people with chronic conditions also suffer with depression.

I find the best solution is prayer and keeping your mouth shut! If you haven't dealt with a serious chronic condition you have no idea what the other person is going through or what they can handle. So...pray for healing, pray for wisdom, pray for patience. You do not help by giving unsolicited advise. You help by praying. I believe God is in control. I also believe in Physicians and medications.

Above all, I believe in God's perfect timing. I have faith that God has heard my prayers, and I know that he will answer them when the time is right. God's timing is perfect. However, even time itself is different to God than it is to us. "But, beloved, do not forget this one thing, that with the Lord one day is as a thousand years, and a thousand years as one day" 2 Peter 3:8.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment