Love and Hatred

Where hatred resides,
Let love prevail.
When hatred prevails,
Have love reside. 

I awoke to the Lord speaking those words to my spirit one morning just before 9/11. It seems there is so much hatred in the world today, whether it is one religion against another, one denomination against another or one believer against another. Even in our own personal life it is so difficult not to respond to hatred with hatred.

Our nature wants validation for the injustice we think has been imposed upon us. As if hating them back somehow childishly takes the pain away or evens the score. You might think I don't hate, but how do you behave when someone cuts in front of you, is rude and inconsiderate, when you are just plain tired and no one seems to care. If you are not responding in love, you are responding in hate.

To respond in love is difficult merely in the fact that it is a choice, a choice contrary to our nature, contrary to our desires, contrary to our logic. It is however, the very nature of God. So where does that leave us? To choose God is to choose love. To choose to overcome the pain of our rejection and draw in those that shut you out. It is so easy to forget that we are the ones drawing the circle around our own life, not anyone else. Therefore, we can choose to make our circle as small or large as we want it to be.

"He drew a circle that shut me out-
Heretic, rebel, a thing to flout.
But Love and I had the wit to win
We drew a circle that took him in."
-Edwin Markham, Outwitted


One time I passed a person who had been particularly cruel to me and I cried out to God "How can you expect me to love these people." I was overwhelmed by His response. He merely spoke to my spirit and said, "How can you expect me not to love them." Then I realized that to know God is to love His beloved. For where hatred resides there is all manner of evil things.

We need to realize our battle is not against individuals, but a spirit of hate, not only in the world, but our very nature. Only when we allow God to transform our nature can we respond in love. We need to let love prevail and reside in our lives. I don't think we comprehend how powerful love can be, nor what it actual should be! I truly believe that love is the most powerful weapon we have against the powers of darkness.

The problem is that we have to learn what it is and how to weld it. God has been trying to teach me, it has been difficult, but I am learning. I believe Love is about treating people with honor and respect unconditionally, even when they are not loveable. Not sardonically saying "I love you with the love of Christ", then walking away and act unloving.

Love can't operate in un-forgiveness, anger, strife, jealousy, lust, or anything contrary to the love of God. Right now God is teaching me how critical it is to have control over what I say. I believe a significant aspect of love is expressed by our words; therefore, it is imperative that they be under the control of God. As anything, once you learn something you can only grow if you continue to practice it.

"Love is patient,
Love is kind.
It does not envy,
It does not boast,
It is not proud,
It is not rude,
It is not self-seeking,
It is not easily angered,
It keeps no record of wrongs.
Love does not delight in evil,
but rejoices with the truth.
It always protects,
Always trusts,
Always hopes,
Always perseveres."
1Corinthians 13:1-7


Where [a place] hatred [hate-bad temper, to trouble, to dislike or wish to avoid; hatred-a state, condition/strong dislike or ill will] resides [to dwell for a long time, to be vested, have rights, powers], Let [implies power or authority to give or deny consent] love [a deep and tender feeling of affection for or attachment or devotion to a person or persons, a feeling of brotherhood and goodwill toward other people] prevail [be strong, gain the advantage, victory, be more widespread], When [a time] hatred prevails, Have [to own or control, gain possession or control] love reside.


1 comment:

  1. Amen
    Hate, hate, it's just too late, my heart no longer will debate.

    The place inside you use to visit, is filled with One now so exquisite.

    Wonderful post, Brenda <3

    ReplyDelete